Friday, September 10, 2010

Keep Dreaming!


So I’m sitting around thinking of something fun and exciting I can do at 2:21 am, when I remember I’m one of the lucky few people out there with a blog. So now I’m going to talk to you about this artwork


Dreamin’ about a place I’ll never see (2007) -Laith McGregor
 
My first impression when seeing this piece was that it was a very cool looking print, but the artist Laith McGregor wasn’t content with just doing that, living up to his manly- tough as nails name, he did the entire image with a ball point pen. Insanity? Probably because if we go off of the Newcastle’s art gallery description the entire artwork is about him having a freaky obsession with his own beard (though who could blame him?). 

“Similarly, beards are rarely the subject of contemporary works of art. Hirsute men however, have become McGregor’s signature.”

However, considering the name of the artwork, it’s most likely the other worldly beard that he is rockin’ IS actually another world, that he’s dreamin’ about. I will back up this bold claim by pointing out the shift in artistic styles from the self-portrait (More Realistic) to the Other World (More Stylistic).

So to Sum up my review: well drawn, humorous

4 comments:

  1. Hello A. Guy,

    I am an attractive 18 year old female who -by chance- stumbled upon your blog. You seem like the kind of guy who i would like to make out with, and eventually start up a small family in a quaint little neighbourhood. Please, mister guy, if you are at all interested with meeting up with a lonely attractive eighteen year old bikini suit modeler, please contact me back...

    xx


    p.s. did i mention i was only one chick? by one chick i mean that there is a group of twelve of us. and we are all naked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Giiiiirrrl please... Do you think I could be tied down to just one (or twelve) chick(s)? I'm a free and wild spirit that cannot be tamed. Think of a wolf, now imagine that wolf is riding a motorcycle: That's how free I am

    But I am quite honoured that you liked my blog random girl who is not actually a male called Tim whom I'm friends with and I asked to check out my blog and make a comment

    ReplyDelete
  3. is the motorcycle riding wolf wearing sunglasses with flames on them? i believe he should be. he should also be playing the eagles from a boom box he has jockey strapped to the back.


    the motorcycle should have an airbrushed naked lady on the gas tank also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool Pic. That is one glorious beard, the skill to do it in pen is exceptional. Entertaining read too.

    ReplyDelete